- The Hockenburys’ Distinctive Narrative Approach. The textbook engages students and helps them see the applications
of psychology to real life. While the text is rich
in scholarship and research, the language is neither
overwhelming nor confusing.
- An Emphasis on Culture and Issues of Diversity. The authors weave cultural coverage throughout the
text both to increase student awareness of the importance
of culture in psychology and to show students how
cultural influences shape behavior and attitudes.
- Integrated and Thorough Coverage of Gender. Gender
influences and gender differences are discussed
throughout. In addition, the authors have provided
the full names of researchers in the References
section at the end of the text to help identify
contributions made by female researchers.
- Class-Tested Pedagogy.
Chapter Opening Prologues
share interesting and true anecdotes that directly
relate to chapter material; Chapter Outlines; Advance
Organizers precede major sections;
and the Chapter Review, Chapter Summaries, Key People,
and Key Terms provide students with a clear review
of all key terms, concepts, and contributors to
the field in each chapter.
- Engaging Boxes. Critical Thinking boxes encourage
students to think about the broader implications
of psychological research; Culture and Human Behavior boxes highlight gender, cross-cultural, and multicultural
issues; Science versus Pseudoscience boxes challenge
- Free Study Guide. Discovering Psychology is always
available packaged with its Study Guide at no extra cost.